After a few more pokes and prods, I did finally get some response from Digilent tech support, but they pointed out to me something I should’ve tried up front.  In short, the Flash chip needs to be sent a reset command, and then it acts like a normal ROM just fine.  I figured since the chip is reset as part of the powerup sequence anyway that it shouldn’t be necessary, but that was clearly a faulty assumption.  One line of code at the front of the app makes it all work well.

Well, anyway, once I had the bootloader working and solved a few more Duh problems with running my app out of the PSRAM, I think I finally found the one issue that puts the bullet in the head of running this project on a Microblaze – memory bandwidth.  The PSRAM asynchronous mode gets you a 70ns access time.  It can be sped up if you can put the chip into fully synchronous mode, but I believe that’s not currently supported by the Digilent memory multiplexer.  With 70ns access, the Microblaze pipeline is effectively perpetually starved by the lack of memory access bandwidth, and simply clearing the 16×32 display with a nice tight C routine takes over a millisecond. Trying to maintain a 60hz framerate with the memory heavy frame buffer manipulations required to scroll the text and shift colors would probably be pretty difficult.

I even looked into the possibility of attaching a faster DRAM to the VHDCI connector and using the onboard memory controller on the Spartan-6, but unfortunately the layout of the Nexys-3 board makes that impossible, the required pins aren’t wired up to that connector.  You’d need the next board up the lineup, the Atlys, which includes the DRAM onboard already.  So, I think it’s back to Picoblaze and assembly programming.

Advertisements